Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Coffee talk, but with flowers

My name is Ashley, and I am a flower murderer.

I don’t mean to be this way, I just am. And it’s not just the day lily incident – this has been going on since Brent and I bought our first house in 2006. I would plant flowers only to watch them die (most often at a rather alarming pace).

Each year, Brent and I would make the trip to Lowes for flowers, but we both knew what their fate would be several weeks later. It almost became a game to see how quickly they would die. Some people have green thumbs; I apparently had a black one.

How did I murder my flowers? Sometimes with neglect, and other times, I honestly have no idea.

I have no issues admitting that I am flower ignorant. Several months ago, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you the difference between perennials and annuals. Last month, I wouldn’t have been able to point out what a geranium looked like. Scratch that, if it wasn’t a daffodil, rose or tulip – I probably wouldn’t have been able to name it.

This year I am trying something new. Not only did I triple the amount of flowers I bought from last year, but I’m keeping track of what I buy by keeping all the flower labels. At the end of the flower season, I will divide them into good and bad piles. This way next year I can remember which flowers I maintained successfully and keep note of which ones to avoid. I figure this is the perfect solution to the flower amnesia I get each spring.


Okay, enough flower talk – on to the visual evidence.

The flower I am having the most success with is celosias. I think it is the coolest looking flower – it’s colorful, pointy and adorable.
My father-in-law is all about the zinias. So when I saw these for sell at a farmer's market on Saturday, I decided to give it a try. My father-in-law said these flowers are pretty low maintenance and rather difficult to kill – that sounds like a challenge.
Also in my landscape, I have these 2 flower pots as well. In the larger pot are petunias, and sadly, I have no idea what the purple flowers are (I got these flowers sans label).
So far this is my only thing of flowers out front – hopefully, this will be changing before long. I have some Impatiens waiting for some love.

I'm clearly going all out this year, because I'm expanding past flowers. This year I'm also giving my first herb a try – oregano.


I'm happy to report that I've had some of these flowers for more than a month, and all is going good so far.

7 comments:

  1. I like your pot mixes. It looks pretty. I'm the same way with flowers and landscaping. Two years ago I planted eight shrubs. Now only half remain (and, no, of course they're not evenly spaced now!). I just weeded the bed and I am *dreading* planting anything in there. It seems that only my bulbed perenniels survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great... and honestly, try buying your flowers at garden centers/flower markets instead of Lowes. I find when I buy them at Lowes/HD, they are just prone to die quicker and they just don't look as 'healthy' as the roadside market ones. Plus I feel better about funding the mom and pop stands... Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how the pots look. You are doing well on the planting & your yard. I haven't really started yet. Good luck, NG

    ReplyDelete
  4. You aren't the only one with a black thumb! Mix my flower-ignorance with the fact that we have hardly any sun ANYWHERE, and well, it usually doesn't turn out well. :) I tried to be smarter about it this year too... so here's to hoping we both have luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your ranunculus, they look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!

    E Hayes – Sorry, if that sounded confusing, but when I mentioned Lowes – that was a trip we used to make in the past, in the old house. This year the majority of my flowers are from the farmer's market, a charity plant sale and a local nursery. :)

    MrsG – Good luck keeping them alive. I have given myself a schedule for watering and feeding, and it's helping me out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your purple flowers look like pansies. :) They like plenty of water, and they're best in spring and early summer. They probably won't last the whole summer, so don't blame yourself!

    ReplyDelete