Monday, August 25, 2014

A rainbow birthday party

Disclaimer: Yes, I know Audrey turned two in January, and yes I know it's August and I'm just now writing about it. I will milk my heart condition for all it's worth on this one.  :)

Up until a month before Audrey's birthday party, I was set on throwing her a nautical party. Then my grandpa died. While I sat with him at hospice, I decided we needed a rainbow. And with that, it clicked.

I've always loved rainbows.

Exhibit A: Audrey's Halloween costume from last year, made by yours truly with some wine-courage in me.


And with that, I had invitation-inspiration:


While I had lots of decor debates with Audrey's penguin birthday, this theme just fell together for me perfectly. It was truly meant to be. And her party was a great success.

My favorite overview. Those circle paper streamers were quite the project, but totally worth it. Thank you Martha Stewart paper punch.


The food (mini pig-in-a-blankets, veggie and beef pinwheels, rainbow fruit salad, cheesy potatoes, pasta salad and orzo salad):

Menu labels are easily my favorite thing to design! They are simple to make and go a long way visually.

These water bottle labels didn't stay on as well as last times, but it was still a fun decor visual.

I found these adorable rainbow cups at Oriental Trading company. Fun for the kids, and spill-free for me.


For dessert there were lemon, strawberry and chocolate cupcakes, cake pops, and sugar cookies.



 Favor table – Aside from the rainbow cups, each child got a rainbow sucker and wand.

I debated about not making the rainbow wands because, well, they sounded annoying to make, but they were a huge success and the kids loved them.

Paper streamers hanging from the kitchen chandelier.


I make family books each year on Blurb, and I thought doing a "birthday guest book" spread would be a fun idea.

And of course, my birthday girl. Also, I've decided, I'm making a tissue paper number every year for her to stand next to on her birthday – I just love these too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment